GRK9 of the Month - Ottawa
Benny is a 7 month old Bully who has been a star while learning off leash obedience. He has also started some protection training. Bennys owners strive to consistently give him something to do. Increase the quality of his life as well as theirs.
1. How old was Benny when you got him?
Benny was 8 weeks old.
2. Where did you get him from?
He came from Hamilton, Ontario.
3 Why did you pick him?
One day it was the right place and the right time. We got him from a man who was a veteran of the Bosnian war. Benny was originally named Diesel and he was meant to be a therapy dog. Unfortunately his daughter was allergic and we got very lucky!
4. Why did you want to begin training?
I Had a bully breed in the past who was not well socialized. Huge fan of the breed but I didn’t take all of the necessary steps to take advantage of his full potential, and didn't want to make the same mistake with Benny.
5. What were some of your training goals?
Basic obedience training, off leash obedience, hopefully protection work/PSA.
6. What was the biggest obstacle to overcome during training?
Not being able to be the only one in charge of his behaviour. I have a lot of family members who help while I'm working long shifts.
7. What are you guys working on now?
Maintaining all basic obedience, bite work, continuing to let him grow and experience new things.
8. If you could give any of our client's advice about accomplishing your training goals, what would it be?
Pay attention to the details, they matter. Follow through with any between session work. Ask a lot of questions ( especially to Suria - she ROCKS). Be patient with your dog, it takes time and consistency to see results.