1. How old was Riggs when you got him?
He was 8 weeks
2. Where did you get him from?
Von Rothhaus German Shepherds
3. Why did you pick him?
Our breeder chose him for us based on our family situation and experience with Shepherds. We wanted a German Shepherd because of their intensity, loyalty and intelligence...also, he is a beautiful boy!
4. Why did you want to begin training?
We wanted to begin training as soon as we got him to ensure that he is the best representation for his breed. We didn't just get a dog to live in our house with us, we got a dog to be part of our family. To be involved in all aspects of our life, we knew he needed to be well behaved/socialized and have the tools to deal with unfavourable behaviours. For us, the only way to attain this was to work with a professional trainer (thankfully we found you!!)
5. What were some of your training goals?
Recall, obedience, impulse control and loose leash walking/heel.
6. What was the biggest obstacle to overcome during training?
Getting him to chill is a challenge. Having moments when he barks at other dogs or people is stressful.
7. What are you guys working on now?
Still working on lots of the same goals that we started with but focusing on e-collar and impulse control/socialization with other dogs. Also recently started some scent work games which we are really excited to continue.
8. If you could give any of our clients advice about accomplishing your training goals, what would it be?
Consistency! You need to work with your dog every day and really be involved in the process. Something I'm still working on is trying to realize that everyday is not going to be perfect and just have fun with training. Thanks for reminding me of that!